Sunday, December 4, 2016

Not Your Stereotypical College Blog Post

This post may come as a surprise to you reading this. College has been pretty easy. While I am aware that the vast majority of college students would disagree with this fact, this has been my experience so far. I'm sure that when I look back on this post in my senior year of college I'm going to laugh at myself for even suggesting such a thought. But here in the present, this is my current summation of college so far. This may have just been the particular set of classes that I took but the workload for these classes has been surprisingly easy. There wasn't more than a quiz a week, sometimes with the quiz being open book. At least in this semester, I didn't have a terrible amount of papers to write. The only papers I had to write being reflective papers based off of my experiences in life. I did have to write a twenty-page screenplay for one of my classes. However, this was not too terribly challenging as I was able to space out the paper and write little chunks throughout the week to get it done. Sleep is another thing that college students bring up about not getting enough of. I've had at least 7-8 hours a sleep per night without staying up crazy late to work on assignments. Again, this could be just the luck of the classes that I chose for the semester but I believe that with proper time management you can accomplish much in college. We all have the same amount of time in a day. It's all about how you manage that time in order to get done what needs to get done. At the end of the semester, I'm actually bored with these last two weeks. I have one more assignment that is another reflective paper that is due as well as three "finals" with all three being just regular tests that don't carry any added weight for the class. The last thing I want to do with this blog post is come away arrogant or insensitive or clueless about what college is actually like. This is just more of a way for me to say that I believe the college experience can be changed to suit the changing world of education. The delivery of education is changing with the internet, YouTube, Kahn Academy. I believe that colleges need to learn to adapt to this way of self-taught, project-based learning for various career fields that would benefit from it. For example, basic college classes should be optional if you can prove that you can test out of these classes. Of course, such a thing already exists called CLEP. However colleges are in the money making business and want your money to pay for more classes even if they are unnecessary because of knowledge already possessed by the learner. I can say in my first semester of college I haven't learned anything more than I already know. I would consider myself to be an active learner in the fact that I continue to learn even beyond the classroom and often research topics just for fun. This may have contributed to this fact. In summation, I'm looking out to next semester to do more with this college education that I am receiving and looking to challenge myself more as to alleviate the current boredom I possess in college. Lastly, HUGE disclaimer. I love Liberty University and the experiences I am having here. It's been great to be able to learn how to live on my own and develop new experiences and learn through this production job I have. I don't regret coming to college for the professional hands-on opportunities I am receiving as well as the contacts that I am making.

Until next time,
Michael


No comments:

Post a Comment